Lesson 2A – Discipleship
- Matthew 28:18-20; 2 Timothy 2:2 – Jesus followers should make disciples who make disciples.
- When people receive the gospel (see Lesson 1), they must be discipled (Matthew 28:19).
- Discipleship Step 1: Baptize the new convert (Matthew 28:19).
- Discipleship Step 2: Teach obedience to all of Jesus’ commands (Matthew 28:20):
- You must KNOW Jesus’ commands (can’t obey/teach what you don’t know)
- You must OBEY Jesus’ commands (see Luke 6:46-49)
- You must TEACH others to know, obey, teach Jesus’ commands, so they can teach others, etc. (see 2 Timothy 2:2).
- Ask: Are you willing to know, obey, and teach God, with God’s help?
- If “Yes” – move on to “Lesson 2B – Baptism”.
- If “No” – repeat Lesson 1 and consider refraining from further discipleship meetings unless/until you are willing to know, obey, and teach Jesus–with God’s help (see James 1:22).
Lesson 2B – Baptism
- Step 1: Water Baptism
- Matthew 28:19 – baptism is first step of obedience after receiving Christ; and the first step in the discipleship process
- Romans 6:1-4 – baptism = burial of old life; public sign of new life
- Acts 2:37-41; 8:26-40; 9:10-19; 10:44-48 – People immediately baptized by Christians upon receiving new life in Christ
- (for deeper understanding of water baptism: read “Water Baptism”)
- When you find someone who wants to follow Jesus, lead them through this study. In collaboration with other Christians in their life, if they’ve never been baptized, have them baptized.
- To baptize, you need a body of water, then immerse them in the water.
- You can ask them in front of others if they believe in the gospel and have “decided to follow Jesus, with God’s help, all of their days” before you baptize.
- Say: “I baptize you in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit” (Matt. 28:19)