Highly Recommend: “What the Bible Says About the Beginning of Life?”
I urge all readers to take a moment and read through Focus on the Family’s article, “What the Bible Says About the Beginning of Life?”
This has become such a mainstream issue and a lot of people (even Christians) seem very ignorant on how clearly God speaks on this topic. As they say in this article, “This resource provides just a few of the Scripture verses.” In other words, there’s a lot more than this. But it’s a great starting point, in my humble opinion.
Abortion – Broad Strokes
Alongside this article, if you follow the following main premises I hope you can see quickly why this really does matter to God (and is not just “one issue” among many equally important political issues):
- Mistreatment of those who are weak and marginalized is sin (Psalm 94:6)
- One of the worst form of mistreatment is murdering a person (who is made in God’s image) (Gen. 9:6)
- The unborn are persons (Exod. 21:22-25; Luke 1:15)
- Their absolute dependence on the mother for life, and complete inability to fight back or speak up, makes them the weakest of all society. Further, they are completely innocent of any wrongdoing.
- Therefore, one of the most atrocious act in God’s eyes is the merciless murder of an unborn child (i.e. abortion) (Exod. 21:22-25)
- This is only more tragic when it is done with full consent by the very person entrusted to bear and raise this precious human being fearfully and wonderfully made (whatever the circumstance of how he/she was formed) (Exod. 23:19; Deut. 28:53; Isaiah 49:15; 1 Thes. 2:7-8)
God Forgives Through Jesus Alone
And if you or someone you know has been guilty of this, have I got amazing news for you!
God killed his own Son in a merciless way to completely pay for all of your sin (which must include abortion). Don’t pretend it isn’t sin. It cost God his Son’s life. But He paid the penalty in full for you and I.
“If men who are fighting hit a pregnant woman and she gives birth prematurely but there is no serious injury, the offender must be fined whatever the woman’s husband demands and the court allows. But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise”(Exodus 21:22-25 NIV)
Did you catch that?
- Murder or harm of the unborn is punishable–even up to death if he/she was murdered.
- But since the penalty is “life for life”, and God paid with the death of his own Son, this means that receiving Jesus’ sacrifice on your behalf is the full payment you have to pay for that sin. Repent and believe this good news.