Happy Good Friday 2021! Praise God that Jesus died on the cross for sinners like us. And, even more, raised from the dead to establish new life for all.
Along those lines, in anticipation to Resurrection Day Sunday, I wanted us to consider the full picture of Jesus’ resurrection.
Here is a PDF of “Harmonizing the Resurrection”.
This is part of a broader gospel harmony I’ve created, and gives a plausible order and harmonization of resurrection events based on the 4 gospels (plus 1 Corinthians 15).
The list of resurrection events (in sequence)
- Weekly Sabbath
- Women buy and prepare anointing spices
- Women go to Jesus’ tomb
- Angel moves stone and frightens guard away
- Women arrive to tomb, see stone removed
- Mary Magdalene notifies John and Peter
- Mary Magdalene, Peter, and John return to tomb
- Peter and John leave after finding tomb empty
- Mary Magdalene discovers angels in tomb; departs to consult “gardener”
- Other women talk with angels
- Mary Magdalene realizes the “gardener” is Jesus
- Other women join Mary Magdalene and Jesus
- Women leave to tell disciples
- Guard conspires with Jewish leaders
- Disciples doubt women’s report
- 2 to Emmaus encounter Jesus
- Peter encounters Jesus
- Group of disciples (minus Thomas) encounter Jesus
- Group of disciples (including Thomas) encounter Jesus
- Disciples journey back to Galilee
- 7 apostles encounter Jesus while fishing in Galilee
- Jesus appears to 500+ people at Galilean mountain
- Jesus appears to James (His brother)
- Disciples return to Jerusalem (for Pentecost)
- Jesus meets with disciples
- Jesus ascends to heaven 40 days after resurrection