Taken from What Makes an Elder?
Are You Elder Material?
Acts 20:28; 1 Tim. 3:1-7; 5:17-25; Titus 1:5-9; Heb. 13:7-17; James 3:13-18; 1 Pet. 5:1-4
- Role of an elder: overseer/supervisor/shepherd – make sure you and the flock are walking faithfully; labor in the word and doctrine; set an example in faith and faithfulness
- Integrity in character: above reproach, blameless; not volatile, self-controlled, sober-minded; good reputation with church and world; hospitable; not given to drunkenness; gentle, not violent or quick-tempered; not quarrelsome; not a lover of money; not headstrong, but considering of other opinions; a lover of what is good; righteous; good conduct; meek; pure; peaceable; gentle; open to reason; full of mercy and good fruit; impartial; sincere
- Integrity in family: husband of only 1 wife; manages family well; children obey you and show you respect; children believe the gospel; children not considered wild or disobedient
- Doctrine: able to teach, speaks the word of God to people
- Integrity in faith: not a recent convert, has a faith/obedience that is worthy of imitation