I’ve reflected lately on the emphasis given in the Bible to:
- Learn Scripture
- Obey what you learn
- Teach others what you learn
All 3 are part of following God. They need each other and should not be separated. When we learn without obeying, for instance, we are in danger of greater judgment (e.g. Matt. 7:26).
Here are a few places that emphasize these 3 elements as a collective whole:
- Deut. 11:18-25 – the success of Israel depended on doing all 3 things collectively
- Ezra 7:10 – a leader involved in the rebuilding of Israel applied all 3 things collectively
- Matt. 5:19 – greatness in God’s eyes is dependent on doing all 3 things
- Matt. 28:18-20 – Jesus’ “great commission” to his followers tells them to do all 3 things
So now you’ve learned this.
Will you obey and teach it to others as well?